The 6 DEADLY SINS that REAL ESTATE AGENTS make (in no particular order).
1. WORKING TOO MUCH - Too many real estate agents feel like they have to take every call, showing, listing appointment, etc.
We’ve all done it.
But when real estate becomes a 24/7 job you start to feel burnt-out and that’s not good for you or your clients.
Mark time on your calendar for yourself and your family.
This leads to a happier, healthier you, and in turn, happier clients.
2. TALKING SH*T ABOUT NEW AGENTS - This one really kills me.
The agents who do this must of been a perfect agent from the jump but that’s unlikely (impossible).
Think about when you were a new agent and try to remember how nervous/clueless you were. Instead of putting new agents down, help them.
The more good agents there are the better it will reflect on the industry as a whole.
3. ABANDONMENT - As we all know, the best business is repeat business.
But too many agents will close a deal out and forget about the buyers or sellers.
You should be checking in every few months with past clients or whenever it’s relevant. Build that repeat business and you’ll never go hungry.
4. CHERRY PICKING CLIENTS - From the wise words of Jay Pitts, "when you’re picking berries pick them all".
You never know who someone knows or what their situation is.
The $50,000 buyer could be an investor who wants to buy 10 of those homes.
That $50,000 seller might have a relative that needs an agent to sell their $1,000,000 home.
Every client is a lead into another opportunity.
5. NOT TRACKING INCOME & EXPENSES - If I asked you to take out a piece of paper and write down your P&L for the year could you?
Don't feel bad if you can't. 99% of agents would be in the same boat as you and that’s a major problem.
After all, the point of running a business is to make money and if you don’t know how much your business is actually making then are you really running a business?
The more you focus on this then the likely hood of your profit growing drastically increases.
6. ORGANIZATION - If you don’t have your database organized then your job is going to be a nightmare and your stress level will skyrocket with every new deal you put in escrow.
At any point you should be able to pull up every deal you’re working including the tasks, notes, deadlines, and people involved.
Once you can do that, you’re in a good spot to work as a many deals as you want at once.
It's impossible to avoid making mistakes as an agent but if you do your best to avoid these 6 sins then you'll be happy with where your career goes.